Monday, December 17, 2012

Oatmeal

You may be thinking... oatmeal, seriously? How hard is it to make oatmeal? You're right it's not hard at all, which is exactly why you should make it! Plus it is super cheap too. Oatmeal is really good for you; it's a whole grain and it's really high in fiber. The problem I have with the little packets of oatmeal is that they are much more expensive and you are no longer in control over how your food is sweetened or how much sugar is in it. Plus making it from basic oats you are able to customize what's in it as much as you like. I know places like Starbucks and McDonald's have started offering oatmeal with fruit and nuts in it but again it's going to cost you more money ($2 for McDonald's and $3 for Starbucks) and you will sit in the drive thru longer than it will take to make this at home. Not to mention McDonald's oatmeal contains 21 ingredients! Now if you pick up breakfast on your way to work this can easily be made at home, put in a thermos and taken with you in the morning. 

Start by cooking the oatmeal according to the directions. If done in the microwave it will take you 3 minutes to make. During that time you can prepare whatever "extras" you want to add in. I like to sweeten my oatmeal with a little bit of 100% maple syrup. This morning I chose to also add in some dried cranberries and apricots. I like apricots because even though they are  dried they are still almost juicy on the inside. Plus they are very sweet so I need less maple syrup to sweeten my oatmeal. You could also do dried apple pieces with cinnamon. Sometimes I like to add slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, or raisins. The little extras you add in can boost the nutritional value of your breakfast as well. Dried cranberries contain antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals such as magnesium. Dried apricots are loaded with fiber, vitamin A, antioxidants, vitamin C, and iron. A good breakfast is the best way to start your day so embrace it with something that is delicious and will fill you up! 


Cost Break Down!! 
I bought 42 oz of oatmeal for $1.50. A serving size is 1/2 cup, which is how much I make so 1 serving costs me $0.05. 1 Tablespoon of real maple syrup cost me $0.23. I got the dried cranberries and the dried apricots at Costco for $7.79 each. The cranberries and the apricots each cost $0.22 per serving and I used half a serving of each so together they cost me $0.22.

All together I had a healthy, hearty breakfast for $0.50!! Way cheaper than the $3 Starbucks chargers for their oatmeal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment