Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Baked German Pancakes

I am originally from a predominantly Dutch town. In the 1960s a group of women got together, collected, and compiled family recipes into a town cookbook. This cookbook is called Eet Smakelijk which is Dutch for eat well and with taste. This recipe is one I modified from my Eet Smakelijk cookbook. I'm not sure what about these pancakes makes them German or why there are German pancakes in a Dutch cookbook; although I know is they are delicious! My mom did not make them very often while I was growing up so it was always a special treat when we got them and I still love them. My favorite part about making them is that they are baked so unlike regular pancakes which I have to constantly watch and flip these can be put in the oven while I go about the rest of my morning routine.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in a 9x9 dish. This can be done by placing the butter in the dish and putting it in the oven while it is preheating.





 Combine 3 eggs, 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (which is optional but I love cinnamon), and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl and mix.



Once the butter has melted and the oven in preheated pour the batter into the dish and bake for 20 minutes. This dish ends up rising almost like a quiche so you don't want to open the oven while it's baking. When it's done cut into pieces and serve with maple syrup. 



Cost Break Down!!
1 dozen eggs cost me $1.50 so 3 eggs is $0.37. A 5 lb. of flour cost me $2.99, which is $0.56 a cup so 1/2 cup of flour $0.28. A gallon of milk is $3.39 so 1/2 cup is $0.11. A package of butter cost me $2.50 and there are 32 Tablespoons of butter in a package so 2 Tablespoons cost $.016. 

All together I made breakfast for my family for $0.92. 


No comments:

Post a Comment