Friday, November 30, 2012

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Yesterday I walked into Trader Joe's and there was a big display full of brussels sprouts on the stalks. I'm not sure what it was about them but they looked wonderful. As I stood there staring at these marvelous brussels sprouts I thought to myself "I wish I liked brussels sprouts because they look so tasty" as I continued to browse through them I realized I actually had no idea what they even tasted like; I actually couldn't remember ever eating them. I then realized I always just assumed I didn't like them but really I had no idea if I liked them. I figured what the heck, let's give them a try!  I am so glad I did because I discovered I love brussels sprouts - They are super yummy!! After realizing how much I enjoyed them I figured I'd investigate some of their health benefits too because to me that's always an added bonus to tasty food. 

Brussels sprouts contain high amounts of fiber which can help lower cholesterol. They can reduce inflammation, help support cardiovascular health, lower the risk for cancer, help keep our bones strong, and improve our immune system. If you want to check out even more that brussels sprouts can do for you check out 11 Health Benefits of Brussels Sprouts otherwise let's continue :)

The brussels sprouts I bought were still on the stalk so I started by cutting them off and washing them.

Once they are washed peel off any leaves that are yellow or have spots. I then cut them in half and put them in a mixing bowl.


In a small bowl I combined 1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, 1 1/2 Tablespoons Lemon juice, 1 clove of garlic minced, salt and pepper. Then I poured this mixture over the brussels sprouts and stirred them until they were evenly coated.

I put them on a baking sheet and cooked them at 425 degrees for 15 minutes; half way through cooking I tossed them to make sure they were cooking evenly. Then I sprinkled them with parmesan cheese and baked them for another 5 minutes.

They came out perfectly roasted - crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment