Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Coffee

I understand this post is not a food for kids post. However, I totally have a love relationship with coffee and pretty much every mom I've ever met loves coffee. So my train of thought is - coffee makes moms happy, happy moms means happy kids, therefore; coffee makes kids happy. So in a very round about way this is still a post for kids. :) 

As soon as October hits EVERYTHING becomes pumpkin spice flavored and then it's gone! Trader Joe's was out of their pumpkin spice coffee before Halloween. I don't know about all of you but November and Thanksgiving is still fall to me and I'm not quite ready to give up on all the pumpkin spice goodness quite yet. Luckily we don't have to! 

You can make your own pumpkin spice at home

Pumpkin Spice Recipe
Adapted from Deliciously Organic 

1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 




To make pumpkin spice coffee mix 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin spice for every 2 tablespoons of ground coffee you use and brew. 

I serve mine with 1/2 tablespoon of honey and 3 Tablespoons of milk. Not only is this delicious but it has no artificial flavors, no refined sugars and no preservative.


Cost Break Down!!
Now since this post is for moms I've decided to do a calorie comparison instead of a dollar comparison because if you are spending $4.50 for a Starbucks latte this is clearly much cheaper! A 16 ounce Starbucks Pumpkin Spice latte has 380 calories. A 16 ounce cup of brewed coffee with milk has 30 calories and 1/2 Tablespoon of honey has 30 calories. So, a cup of homemade pumpkin spice coffee has 60 calories compared to a Starbucks latte of 380. That makes me happy and so does this happy afternoon treat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment