Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pizza Lunchables

My oldest daughter takes her lunch to school everyday. She typically very easy to send a lunch for because she's ok with eating the same kind of things everyday... peanut butter and honey sandwich, an apple, orange slices, and a cheese stick. This varies occasionally but overall this a typical lunch. 

However, every once in awhile she begs me for a lunchable. I'll admit it, I don't give my kids whatever they want to make them happy. Don't get me wrong my kids are very happy children that literally want for nothing but just because they beg for something doesn't mean I'm going to cave and get it for them - especially if that something is really unhealthy! I just looked up the pizza lunchable ingredients and there are about 50 ingredients in a cheese pizza including crazy things like diglycerides, guar gum, calcium propionate and artificial flavors What! To me those are completely unnecessary to make pizza. 

This week my daughter's on winter break so she has the whole week off of school. As a fun project during this week we decided to make our lunchables at home! 

This can easily be done on a weekend and then sent as school lunches during the week. These little mini pizzas are also a fun dinner idea to get the kids involved in the kitchen. If your kids  have a sleepover or birthday party you could have little bowls each filled with different toppings and have a pizza making party and each kid can custom make their own pizza :) 

I used my pizza dough and sauce that I have posted on my whole wheat pizza post. This post is starting with the dough after it rises. Punch the dough down and divide into 8 separate balls. You can also roll the dough into a long tube and then cut it with a knife into 8 pieces. 

Grease a cookie sheet and then doing 1 ball of dough at a time press it out into a mini pizza. Top each pizza with sauce.

This is another part that individual pizzas are nice for our family. We all like something a little different. My oldest daughter likes just cheese, my husband likes extra sauce and his toppings under the cheese, I like my toppings on top of the cheese. This was everyone gets their own pizza to make however they want. 
Bake the pizzas in a preheated oven at 500 degrees for about 10 minutes. You will know they are done when the cheese is melted and the crust is a nice golden brown. 




 I also baked a couple of the crusts with nothing on them. These only need to bake for about 5-6 minutes. If you make them this way you can send them to school with small containers of sauce, cheese, and toppings and it can be just like a real pizza lunchable they can build themselves at school! 





No comments:

Post a Comment