Thursday, January 3, 2013

Oatmeal Fruit Muffins

For anyone with kids you know that mornings can be completely hectic so a grab and go breakfast is sometimes a must. Finding a balance between quick and easy and healthy can be tricky as well. These muffins are a solution! They can easily be made on the weekend, the night before or even in the morning. For me, any breakfast I can make and then bake while I take a shower, get kids dressed, make lunches, or just enjoy a cup of coffee is awesome. One thing I love about these muffins is that they are half whole wheat flour and half oatmeal. Oatmeal is a cheaper ingredient, $0.10 a cup as oppose to flour which is $0.56 a cup, so it cost less to make them. Plus oatmeal is full of fiber, it can help lower cholesterol, and it stabilizes blood sugar levels. These muffins are a great base for any type of fruit you might want to add in. I made blueberry muffins but I didn't want to call them blueberry muffins because a few days ago I made them and they were cranberry muffins. The next time I make them I think they are going to be raspberry or maybe dried apple, or possibly strawberry, or even apricot... I see a lot of muffins in my family's future. 

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Then start by mixing 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup of oatmeal, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a big mixing bowl. I also added in a teaspoon of cinnamon. I add cinnamon to everything I can because I think it is delicious and if you read the post on pancakes you already know how awesome cinnamon can be for you. If you haven't read it you should probably go check it out so you to can become a cinnamon weirdo like me :) 


 In another small bowl beat 1 egg. Add in 3/4 cup of milk, and 1/4 cup of oil and mix together. I just whipped it up a little bit with a fork. 







Back in the flour bowl add in 1/3 cup of honey and then pour in the egg mixture.








Stir this all together just so it's mixed but make sure you don't over mix it or it can become dry. Add in 1 cup of whatever fruit you what. Gently fold them into the muffin batter. 



Spoon your muffin mix into a greased muffin tin. Fill the cups about 3/4 of way full. Cooking tip of the day for you - an easy way to spoon the batter into the cups is to use an ice cream scoop.

Bake the muffins for about 16-18 minutes or until they are a beautiful golden brown. Remove from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool. An easy way to get the muffins out of the pan is to run a small rubber spatula around the edge of the muffin to unstick the muffin at all without scratching your pan.


Cost Break Down!! 

1 cup of whole wheat flour cost me $0.56. 1 cup of oatmeal costs me $0.10 so 3/4 cup would be about $0.08. I got my jar of baking power for about $5 and it is 230 g. 1 teaspoon of baking powder is 5 grams so 2 teaspoons would cost me about $0.22. The 1/4 teaspoon of salt I used is less than a penny. 1 teaspoon of cinnamon cost me about $0.11. A dozen eggs is $1.60 so 1 egg cost me $0.13. A gallon of milk cost me $3.26 so 3/4 cup costs $0.15. I used 1/4 cup of safflower oil which cost me $0.40. 1/3 cup of honey cost me $0.54. I got a pint of blueberries on sale for $1.50 and I used about half of it so it cost me $0.75.

All together I made a dozen blueberry muffins for $2.94. That is just $0.25 a muffin! 

No comments:

Post a Comment